Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Prelude to One of the Greatest Weeks Ever

The sun decided to come out of hibernation these past couple days (with an emphasis on yesterday in particular). Friday, we got up and made our way on over to the Banqueting Halls where the royals used to have their banquets (shocker) and where Charles II was beheaded. Now, let me first say that this day was pretty disorganized. First, we get to the banqueting halls and turns out that because of a military ball the night before, the halls werent going to be available for viewing for another hour. SO, we sat in McDonalds and talked until it was time for us to go on inside. It was basically a large room with a painted ceiling... pretty to look at for like 15 minutes maybe? Well they gave us an hour, so we basically sat and chatted the whole time. Afterwards, we had an hour to get lunch and then headed off to the British Museum. We didn't really know where anyone was or what we were supposed to be doing--the group kind of dissolved. So Emma, Macy, Caitlin and I stood independent and carried on. The British Museum was by far my favorite museum that I may have ever been to. It's full of all of these amazing Egyptian and Roman artifacts and I found them to be all so cool! I definitely want to go back some time soon.

ceiling in the Banqueting Hall
the British Museum

After the British museum, we ventured off to Primark to see if we could find a new outfit for the dance that night. It didn't take long for us to get overwhelmed by the store and leave without any purchases. After a very delicious meatloaf dinner, I took a nap and then got ready for the Hyde Park YSA stake dance! It was actually really fun... it was dress to impress so I had fun getting all dolled up with my friends. The dance itself was TINY! There were probably 80 people there tops, half of which were our people. It was really fun nonetheless, and I even got to meet a few young British men ;)

Saturday we woke up and then Jenny, Macy, Emma, Caitlin and I went off to Picadilly Circus to get tickets for Phantom of the Opera on Monday! It was a gorgeous day because the sun was out, so we didn't even mind getting lost--especially because our lack of direction led us to Candy Cakes! (a fondant-ed muffin store that tricks its customers into thinking it sells cupcakes.) So Jenny and I each got a Candy Cake to try and I got a lemon poppyseed one and it was absolutely delicious! The food here never ceases to disappoint me.
Anyways, so we finally made it to Her Royal Majesty's Theater (Caitlin mentioned how cool it feels asking people, "excuse me do you know where her royal majesty's theater is?") and got great tickets for Phantom and we're all so excited to see it! After, we looked around in a really awesome British souvenir shop and these two Italian men ran up to us on the streets and asked us all to take a picture with them! haha it was really weird but kind of funny (if my sisters were here it would have very much been an "umm!!??" moment). Soon enough, we hopped onto the tube and made our way over to the London Eye! Right when we were arriving the sun was just beginning to go down and everything was so gorgeous. I thought I was going to be terrified of the London Eye cause I HATE ferris wheels, but I loved it! It was one of my favorite things that I've done here so far--and the fact that we were on it during sunset made the experience just that much better. When we were at the top Jenny and I talked about how amazing it is that we're here. It was one of those moments where I looked around at the gorgeous city that I'm living in and just felt absolutely breathless. For a moment, I shed my cynical and sarcastic shell and felt such a great love for the world and for everything in it. The experience was just so surreal. I have completely fallen in love with this place and I never want to leave!

us outside of Cool Britannia with one of the traditional British Men that worked there!
this would be me on the London eye.

After the eye, we made our way over to a restaurant called Pizza on the Park, a restaurant that my London Top 10 book (thanks Lauren) had recommended. It was a cute little restaurant and we all got really yummy Italian food and had a great time! Afterwards, I went to go meet up with my second cousins who live here in London and Caitlin was so kind as to not leave me alone and came with me. So, we waited for a little bit and then figured they weren't gonna make it and so we went into Harrod's and explored and then as they were closing we quickly ran into the chocolate hall and bought ourselves some pre-Valentines day chocolates. I have never gotten chocolate at Harrod's yet and I am yet to eat mine. I'm going to see if I can wait til Valentine's Day to eat them, but in all reality, I give myself two days.
Today I had a great Fast Sunday and came home and was very productive and did NOT take a nap--which is a first! I finished my Oliver paper, had a great dinner, got a great compliment by my most favorite Susan, and am now hanging out with my roommates! This next week is going to be amazing... Phantom on Monday and then Rome early Thursday morning! I'm so excited! I can't wait to be in Italy for the first time in my life...but I can't get ahead of myself! I have a quiz and a test before I leave so I've got to keep myself focused for just a few more days, and then I'm free! Can't wait :)

0 comments: