Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Sun is Shining BRIGHTON Me

Today was very much homework oriented. I have a project due on Monday for Shakespeare and thus I want to try to get as much done before Sunday so that I can spend my usual procrastination on one task rather than five. I woke up and had my usual bowl of cereal, debated about going on a run, but then fell back asleep. Then I went to classes--today I had religion (which I did NOT sleep through thanks to the lovely Laura), polisci170, and Engl300. After classes were over, we were going to go see Phantom of the Opera, but decided to postpone our trip so that more people could join in with us and thereby give us a group student discount. So I went on a run through Hyde Park and then ran some errands and came back home. At dinner, I tried curry for my very first time! Well, in a meal that is... I had always had little bites of it before but never really liked it that much, but tonight I actually really enjoyed it! I'm converting to Thai food, which is something I thought I would NEVER do.

Yesterday was our second day trip and I absolutely fell in love with England more because of it. We woke up at 6:30 to have breakfast and to pack lunches and then boarded onto our "coach" (not bus) and headed on to Brighton. For any Jane Austen enthusiasts, you might recall that Brighton is the town in Pride and Prejudice where Lydia goes to pick up soldiers, and where she meets up with Mr. Wickham....and let me just say that I do not blame Lydia for running off to Brighton--I would run off there every weekend if I could. Well, that's not true. I would run off there every weekend in summer if I could. It's on the coast so it's a beautiful beachside with a massive pier with rides and little shops. Honestly, Brighton is just the perfect little beach town where you want to wear flip flops and a summer dress and run around with an ice cream cone. It was a little unfortunate that we saw it in the winter time, but nonetheless Brighton still seemed to encompass something truly magical in the frosty air.
Once we arrived in Brighton, we went to the Royal Pavilion, which was basically King George IV's palace that he designed for when he went on holiday. It was lavish and ridiculously grand and Queen Victoria stayed there at one point with Prince Albert and their kids. The coolest thing about it was that it was all very oriental and Chinese-themed....there were dragons and asian decor everywhere which was very unique. I loved it! So, we went on a tour throughout the palace and then had lunch and walked around on the beach and on the pier. Then it was bye to Brighton and back to the bus.
After we drove on over to Battle Abbey, which is where the Battle of Hastings took place. It was a massive beautiful countryside with fortress-like castles and walls everywhere. It was so gorgeous... most of the other students looked at all of the battle plaques, however, my friends and I took the opportunity to take very America's Next Top Model-esque pictures all over the place. It was so incredibly gorgeous and I have decided that I will be taking my engagement pictures there when I am engaged. Here are few of some of the best shots:


haha Macy and I had fun posing on these really cool looking stairs at the end

After exploring Battle Abbey we got back on the bus and went to a small city called Rye.... I'm still not quite sure what the point of traveling to that city was because we were only there for an hour and there didn't seem to be any great historical significance. Nonetheless, it was a good experience because Macy, Emma, Caitlin and I went to this really cute little bed and breakfast where I got sweet pepper and tomato soup with a cheese scone. It was the perfect combo for a cold day.... cold enough where I wore my cheetah snuggie wrapped around me on our walk around the town... I was a walking fashion statement.

Tuesday we had class and then that night Emma, Macy, Jenny, Caitlin and I made our third attempt to go see The Woman in Black, which turned out to be.... SUCCESSFUL!! I really enjoyed the play.... it was about these two men, one of which was haunted by an experience in his life which he felt obliged to share with the rest of the world. So, he wrote a play about it. He gives it to a man, and then the whole play is them doing a sort of dress rehearsal of this play. It's your traditional ghost story, where the man goes to this creepy old house where he sees this woman dressed in black. Long story short, whenever you see the woman in black, a child is supposed to die. So the whole play the woman in black is randomly popping out and noises are randomly sounding and it was all very jumpy and scary.... at least for me. I get scared very easily and therefore I was always jumping and screaming throughout the whole play. One time, one of the two main characters simply came on stage to move a chair or something and I screamed...causing everyone in the theater to start laughing. Whoops. All in all, it was a fun night.

Tomorrow, Tony Blair is coming to London to make a speech, and it just so happens that two opposing Muslim groups are going to be having some sort of meeting or gathering or something along those lines. Thus, the terrorist threat has been raised to "severe" for tomorrow and so we're all thinking of laying low tomorrow.... avoiding the tube and such. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully everything and everyone will be safe in London... I would hate it if anyone touched my city.

0 comments: