Thursday, January 14, 2010

The German Boy, The Gelato, And The Girls...

This week has seriously just been blowing by... I have been so so so busy! Sunday we had our first day of church here in London and it was really fun to go to the Hyde Park Stake. We walked to church and as cold as it was, the park in the snow was absolutely gorgeous! At Church, each of us received individual ward assignments, and I have been assigned to the South Kensington Ward, which happens to be a Portuguese ward! I'm pretty nervous about this considering that I don't really speak Portuguese... so we'll see how that goes. I'm just happy that it's the closest ward and it starts at 11 :)
On Monday we took a group trip to the London Museum. It was pretty interesting, but we had to do a dumb worksheet on it, so that limited my enjoyment of the experience. After the museum a smaller group of us went to the closest pub and got real authentic fish n chips! Jenny and I split a massive platter and it was soooo delicious!

I love pubs, they're so cool! After lunch we went to St. Paul's Cathedral and it was absolutely gorgeous. We didn't get to climb the 500 steps up to the dome, but we did walk up 300 something steps to the Whispering Gallery and we were soooo tired when we got to the top! haha. I really loved the visit though and we want to go back when the dome is open so that we can make our way up to the top and see the supposed gorgeous view of London.

After St. Paul's, Jenny, Macy, Emma and I went to this little cafe to get some herbal tea and then we headed back home so that Jenny and I could get back for lovely kitchen crew for dinner. Tuesday we had our very first day of classes and it went pretty well! In the morning before my first class I decided to go on a jog through Hyde Park and it was soooo gorgeous! Everyone may say that it sucks to be in London when it's snowing, but I'm so grateful that I'm here and able to see Hyde Park in the snow. I absolutely fell in love with running through Hyde Park and I plan on doing it more frequently as soon as I get medical tape for my bad knees so that I'm not in extreme pain after I run :) Anyways, back to classes...I'm probably the most excited for my two English classes, however, after much controversy and debate, I really think I'm going to enjoy my political science class as well. Tuesday night a group of us decided to randomly try to go see The Lady in Black which is a play that is supposed to be really scary--like, scary enough where people in the theater are screaming and all that jazz--however, we got to the theater TWO MINUTES late and missed it! We were all a little bummed, but we had a very entertaining tube ride on the way there and we were able to do some shopping at the little souveneir shops and get some delicious gelato. Oh, and we saw Big Ben lit up at night and it was absolutely beautiful! It was such a fun night!
Last night we had another school day and at night we made a considerable effort to make it Ben's Cookies, however, again, we got there and they had closed! So we went to McDonald's for goodies... haha. Today was a very busy day of classes and I am absolutely exhausted! But good news: I'm officially off kitchen duty for a LONG time! Hallelujah!!

Me loving London and my home here on Palace Court :)

0 comments: