Saturday, January 9, 2010

Official Day One

I'm finally here at the London Centre! After traveling around with my family for two weeks, I've officially begun my study abroad program and so far it has been so much fun! Yesterday we did a basic day where we all moved in, received instruction, and had our first delicious dinner. Today, we woke up and I still have been feeling a little sick, which is a bummer, but thanks to modern medicine my current state of health hasn't really held me up too much. Anyways, we all got ready for the day and then a group of 8 of us went off on what seemed like a very long tube ride to the O2 center to get tickets to see Peter Pan! I've noticed that I have become the designated tube navigator haha. Every time we take the tube, I ask someone how to get where we're going and then the group trails behind me like my little ducklings! I am thoroughly enjoying my new duty :) haha, Laura calls me the "mom" of our group. Luckily, we looked up tickets online and found out that Peter Pan closes tomorrow, so back at the London Centre we were able to quickly decide that tonight Peter Pan was going to occupy our time. So, once we got to the O2 center we got our tickets, and then since we were all starving, we went and got food at a place called Nando's. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a fan of spicy food and all of the chicken there was spicy (even though Jake insists that my mango and lime chicken, which was the least spicy of all of the levels of spiciness--is that even a word?--wasn't spicy at ALL) but regardless I still pretty much enjoyed my food and the atmosphere with my new friends! Afterwards, we all went to Starbucks and got hot chocolate.... I got some really great herbal tea that felt amazing on my throat, and then i got a mini raspberry coconut cake that satisfied my sweet tooth :)

After socializing and getting to know each other more at Starbucks, we went on over to Peter Pan! It was seriously such a great show! I sat next to Jenny, Macy, and Emma and we had amazing seats! Oh, and what was so cool was that Jonathan Hyde played Hook in the play!! For everyone who doesn't recognize him by name (I for sure didn't know his name when I recognized who he was), he was the man in Titanic who built the ship, the scary hunter guy in Jumanji, and the dad in Richie Rich! Here's a picture of him for reference:


All in all it was a great experience and the play was super cute and funny... there were definitely some parts where I wish I had my sisters Amber and Brittney there with me to laugh about weird stuff that we happen to find funny. Even though we ran into some snow along the way and witnessed a drunk creepy man fall asleep on Laura on the tube, I had so much fun on my first day real day out in London with the new girls I've met here (and guy haha)!

Jenny and I outside in the freezing snow! As cold as it was, it was actually really pretty

Our whole group at Nando's!

Christina, Tori, Me, and Macy at Starbucks! I seriously love the atmosphere at Starbucks... and there was a huge group of British people next to us and I absolutely loved listening to their accents!
Us after Peter Pan! Or as Jenny would say, "Peter in the Pan".... you know, where Peter just goes around and flies around in a pan....

After we got back, Jenny, Macy, Laura and I snacked on PB&Js, bread and nutella, and fruit in the kitchen and now we're all up in our rooms getting ready for bed. I have to get up at 630 tomorrow for church!! Ahhh! As early as that is, I'm excited for another day tomorrow in London :) Night everyone!


0 comments: