Friday, March 26, 2010

"Huh-erbs"

This week, we ventured off to two locations: Cambridge and Hampton Court.

WEDNESDAY: CAMBRIDGE
I absolutely loved it here. Maybe even more than Oxford. We arrived via coach and went to the chapel at King's College, and then Macy, Emma, Caitlin and I went punting! It was so relaxing and we were sprawled out on our boat while Greg, our punter, rowed us along the river that bordered all of the various colleges in Cambridge. The weather was beautiful and I was truly at peace. It was so lovely.

After punting, and having some of the locals make fun of our accents (we got into an "erbs" vs. "HERBS" pronunciation battle), we went off to this little Market where we got lunch. I got a baked potato and an acai smoothie and they were delicious. We walked around and looked at all of the shops and then went back to the bus.

We made a couple stops on the way to Cambridge, of course, that I can't forget to mention. First, we went to the Cathedral at St. Albans and the museum of Roman Life??? Yeah, dont ask me why we went there. I'm still puzzled by it. Fortunately, the experience got a little more exciting when Emma, Macy, and I were walking back from the Cathedral and ducks ran out of the pond and LITERALLY started going at it right in front of us... and yes, you know what I mean by "going at it." It was so funny, especially when Macy tried to protect the female duck because she thought that she was getting raped. I fed some swans, who were VERY hungry, got mud all over my Uggs, and went straight back to sleep when I got on the bus.


After, we went to the American Memorial Cemetery. I really liked this place... it brought me back to America, if just for an hour. I love London with all my heart... but there really is nothing quite like being an American. I love my country so much and I am so grateful for all of the people there that have risked and are currently risking their lives so that I can enjoy the freedoms and privileges that I have in my life. God bless the USA.

(picture taken from the wall of missing)

FRIDAY: HAMPTON COURT
Today, Friday, I woke up at 7:30AM and got ready to go to Hampton Court, where Henry VIII lived. Initially, the weather was pretty nice, but that definitely changed as the day went on. First, we explored through Henry's kitchens and then went to go to one of the central courts to take part in the celebrations for King Henry and Catherine Parr's wedding that was "taking place that day." Everyone was dressed up and I even got to see King Henry VIII himself! Can you imagine!?

After watching a mock-argument between our host--Catherine's sister--and King Henry, we walked around the grounds, saw the world's oldest grape vine (wow!) and lots of pretty daffodils (spring is here!), and Britin and I went through the maze there! It was so much fun. We ran to catch the train back to London, however Katie and Emma didnt make it and got separated from us, so from thereon it was just Britin, Caitlin and I. Once back in London, us three went to Borough Market where I tried a very delicious "cheese toastie" and where I re-stocked my usual stash of chocolate covered cinnamon dusted hazelnuts and almonds.

(Britin and I holding the Triwizard Cup)
mmm cheese toastie!

After Borough, we went to Carnaby Street, which is the center of Soho in London. It was such a cute area and I loved it! We walked around and took a few pictures and then we went to Anthropologie. Now, before arriving at BYU I had honestly never heard of this store. Apparently, its really popular for girls my age...anyways, this was my first experience entering the store. It was a big deal. I didn't buy anything today, but I will probably very likely be returning there sometime soon to make a few purchases.

After Carnaby and Regent Street, we came back home and I wasnt hungry for dinner so I took a nice long nap. I've just been so tired this week, so it was very much needed. I woke up and caught up on journaling and Grey's Anatomy, and now here I am listening to music down in the library. It's so nice to get personal space every so often.

Today was a great day and I hate thinking that my London experience is coming to a close.
But hey, as they say...

the best is yet to come.

0 comments: